Friday, June 12, 2015

Welcome to Bates!




By AESOPer Katie Hartnett

Coming to college for the first time is a scary thing. Moving away from home, having to make an entirely new set of friends, and having to sit in class and discuss abstract topics with prestigious professors are all components of college that worried me as an incoming freshman. So naturally what did I do? I signed up for this thing called AESOP. I didn’t know much about AESOP, let alone how to pronounce the word (which is ay-sah-p in case you don’t know either), but I received an enthusiastic email that encouraged me to pick a trip—an offer I couldn’t turn down. There are plenty of reasons why AESOP was the perfect remedy for my pre-college fears: it allowed me to explore Maine in an environment where I didn’t have to worry about any logistics, it provided an space for me to connect with other Batesies on a level much deeper than just a simple introduction, and it was a super fun introduction to the lively culture at Bates before the start of classes!

One very memorable moment from my AESOP trip was when our group summited our first peak. Our leaders had hidden some treats the entire hike up, and we were able to sit on the top of the mountain, enjoy each others company, and share our snack with a really cool through-hiker! It was a hard hike up, but we were able to support each other and truly enjoy the experience of being in the outdoors together. In that moment, looking down at the beautiful wilderness of Maine, I felt like I really was a part of the community at Bates. I knew that if these group-mates were able to support me up the mountain, they would be able to support me through anything in school too. We were able to laugh together, work together, and learn from each other . . . college wasn’t so scary anymore!


I definitely owe my first great taste of Bates to the AESOP program.

No comments:

Post a Comment