Tuesday, June 23, 2015

A Tribute to the Leaders



           The first memory you’ll ever have as a Bates student is most likely one that will take place on your AESOP trip; for me this was definitely the case. Of course you remember the first time you meet your leaders and the other students on your trip, but when I say “memory,” I mean your first moment as a Bates student that will stick with you for the rest of your life.
            My AESOP trip was one of the best experiences of my life (no exaggeration). Yes, lobster fishing off the coast of North Haven, Maine (an island off the coast of Maine with a permanent population of 355 people) was one of the most unique experiences of my life, but what truly made the trip remarkable were the people on it. I can genuinely say that I met people on that trip that I will be friends with for the rest of my life, two of these individuals being my two leaders: Abi and Reed.



            Abi and Reed truly became my parents away from home during my freshman year. The connection that these two seniors made with their freshman was remarkable. Whether I had questions about a class, a professor or just something completely random, Abi and Reed were the first people I went to for help. Experienced and extremely rational, Abi and Reed were amazing people to have in my life for my first year of college. In my opinion, my AESOP experience didn’t end when we returned from North Haven, it ended May 29th, the day I finished my freshman year. Whether it was Abi continuously giving me advice about anything and everything or Reed being an amazing and patient barber throughout the year, they were constantly helping me orient my life at Bates. I could also argue that my AESOP experience will never truly end because I know that my relationships with Abi and Reed will be perpetual. The uniqueness of my AESOP trip truly revealed the uniqueness of each person there, especially Abi and Reed.

By first-year Adam Blau

No comments:

Post a Comment