Saturday, June 20, 2015

Coordinator Update! Jamo's Summer in NC







Hey y'all!

This is your assistant coordinator Jamo Karsten writing to you from the Montreat Retreat Center in the mountains of western North Carolina.  I am working here this summer as a Wilderness Ranger, a rather impressive title for an otherwise fun and relaxing job that includes public hike leading, trail maintenance, other general labor, and LOTS of time outside!   

A little bit about Montreat; it is a unique community, a blend of Montreat College (liberal arts!!!!), the retreat center which is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church, summer 'cottagers', as well as the small town of Montreat itself, all tucked away in a beautiful valley in the Appalachian Mountains.  

This past Friday I attended my first Barn Dance, a Montreat community Friday night tradition, which was an awesome Appalachian cultural experience and an absolute blast!  

The past three summers I worked at a wheat flour mill back in my home state of Michigan, so this new summer lifestyle is certainly a change of pace but it suits me nicely I think.  Summer is already flying by, and before I know it I will be done here August 9, have a week off, and then back to Bates to prepare for AESOP!  I'm so excited to welcome you all to college in perhaps the most exciting and unique way any students begin their college careers anywhere.  Enjoy your summers, have an absolute blast in everything that y'all are doing, and make to sure to stay on top of turning in all of your AESOP information!




Peace and Love,

Jamo  

No comments:

Post a Comment