Thursday, June 18, 2015

4 Years of AESOP



Heya! My name's Cailene. This fall I'll be entering my senior year as a geology-loving frisbee enthusiast and I am stoked to celebrate 4 years of AESOP being a part of my life. 

What's the first word to come to mind when I think of AESOP? Utopia. It embodies the essence of Bates. It is a time where Batesies, both seasoned and fresh, come together to enjoy the beautiful wilderness of northern New England, get to know one another and become acquainted with the wonderland that is Bates College. I fell in love with AESOP the second I stepped onto campus in 2012, all bright eyed and bushy-tailed.  My fondness has only intensified with leading trips for the past two (going on three) years. AESOP is one of the best things about Bates for me because it is the first introduction to four years of fun and growth and learning and challenging yourself, all  while soaking in nature's beauty away from the hustle and bustle of the frontcountry. There is no better way to start the transition into a new life chapter than sleeping beneath the stars with sore calves, Annie's-filled bellies, profound conversations and new friends. 

I'd like to tell a little story: I've been hiking ever since I could walk, growing to love the outdoors and the magic that is mountains from a very young age. I'll admit that sometimes backpacking sucks. With burning calves, bruised hips and sweaty skin it isn't always hunky-dory.  But I love it for a reason. Last year I led Pemi II through the beautiful Pemigeewassett Wilderness in New Hampshire with my fearless leader Dana. We had a rockin' crew known as the Fabulous Fox. We tackled 5 peaks and what felt like a million false summits. The problem was, every time we hit a summit we were in the clouds and could see barely a foot in front of us- tough luck, eh? Most of the 'SOPers hadn't backpacked before and it was tough to convince them the hike was worth the pain. Though spirits were high and shenanigans were bountiful, knowing how gorgeous the Whites are had me itching to prove to them it was worth the achy legs. Then, on the last day of the trip, we donned our summiting hats and followed the first patches of blue skies up to Mt. Garfield for one last attempt at 360 views. The view was picture perfect. The energy of the group was radiating and we all felt an incredible sense of accomplishment. Seeing the beaming faces of the backpacking novices after soaking in their first true mountain view was truly magical. Magical for the AESOPers, and magical for me and my co-leader. 

I remember doing all sorts of new things on AESOP my first year, and as a leader it's pretty cool to pass on the torch and be a part of the experience for the next batch of Batesies. Everyone supports one another through the tough stuff, laughs through the rain and celebrates together when the sun is shining and a goal is met. Pardon my cheesiness, but AESOP really is about the journey. It's about meeting new people, getting stanky together, making trail food concoctions, telling embarrassing stories by the campfire and playing endless rounds of contact. Us Batesies are lucky cats to start off our four years of adventure with a bang by hiking or canoeing or climbing or surfing or doing yoga (the lists goes on) with new faces who just might end up being pals for life. 

After spending the past semester frolicking around New Zealand and tramping up all sorts of mountains, I can't WAIT to be back in the states and get my hike on with a whole new crew of bobkittens. Get ready for one of the best adventures of your life, friends. Maybe I'll see some of you on the trail! 

Love & Mountains, 
Cailene 

No comments:

Post a Comment